WebinarJam is an encoder to YouTube. While we’d love to have total control over YouTube and make all our lives easier, we sadly don’t. This means, on occasion, YouTube will still try to make your webinar public. Following these steps will help keep your webinar private.
- Set up your Replay
- YouTube Channel Settings
- Changing Settings Before Going Live
Set up Your Replay
The most important thing is setting your WebinarJam Replay to private in the replay tab.
NOTE: Even if you don’t want to offer a replay after the event, be sure to set it up this way before the webinar. You can always go back when the webinar is over and change this setting or set the replay to expire in 1 hour.
When setting up your webinar, go to the replay tab and:
- Choose “Enable”(Marked #1 Below)
- Choose “Private” (Marked #2 Below)
This will convert the video to “unlisted” on YouTube. Now, only someone with a direct link to the video or your replay page will be able to view the video.
Changing your YouTube Live Streaming Channel
Setting up your Live Streaming on your channel with some default settings helps reduce the stress and worry of forgetting to change the settings during the webinar. We will cover those steps now.
First, go to YouTube.com/live_dashboard
- Confirm you are on Live Streaming / Stream Now (Marked #1)
- Scroll down (Marked #2 Below)
- Change the Privacy setting to “Unlisted” from the dropdown. (Marked #3 Below)
- Click “Advanced Settings” (Marked #4 Below)
This means that every Live streaming you do will be unlisted. But you can change it as necessary.
- Be sure you are on “Advanced Settings” (Marked #1 Below)
- Uncheck both boxes under “Promotions” (Marked #2 Below)
- Confirm that Embedding is checked (marked #3 Below)
Read Troubleshooting Embed Settings if your Embedding is not allowed.
Why “Unlisted” instead of “Private”?
NOTE: If the YouTube listing is “private” instead of “unlisted”, your WebinarJam replay links will not work. Similarly, if you choose not to make a replay available, then your video will be saved in YouTube as public.
Better to make it available, choose private, then immediately after your webinar, edit the webinar to make the replay unavailable. That way the recording stays unlisted in your YouTube account.
What does “Unlisted” mean?
“The video will not appear in any of YouTube’s public spaces, such as search results, your channel, or the Browse page, but the link can be shared with anyone.”