You may have recently encountered a message “Hangouts on Air has been disabled by your domain administrator”.
This is happening because you’re using a Google Apps Domain for your email address when you log into the webinar, versus a Gmail address.
You will need to “enable the app” or the hangout will not work at all. If you have co-presenters who are using other gmail accounts, you will need to “change the hangout settings”
NOTE:The reason we strongly advise a Gmail or Google pages email address is because using a “Google Apps Domain” can sometimes cause problems.
- When using a Google Apps Domain, the Attendee Spotlight will not work, so you will want to turn that feature off.
- If you are using a Google Apps Domain and your presenters are using a gmail or another Google Apps Domain, we highly recommend testing beforehand to make certain your other presenters do not get an error message. If they do, then it will be necessary to use a gmail address.
- Enable the App
- Change the Hangout Settings
Enable the App
Even though it may have worked before, Google recently made a change that disabled hangouts for all of their domains. It’s an easy fix, though! Your domain administrator simply needs to log in and enable the app.
WARNING: With the change, Google also made it so only other people with apps domain accounts can participate as presenters and co-presenters. For most of our customers, this doesn’t fit their business model, so they have chosen to create a separate gmail address to handle their webinars.
Simply login to their Google Apps account and visit the admin console. If you don’t know how to find the admin console, here’s a link from Google showing you how
App Settings Page
Talk / Hangouts Setting
- Change the “Talk/Hangouts” settings to “On for Everyone”
- For the service you want to turn on or off, click ￼at the right of the service listing and choose ON for everyone or OFF from the menu.
Changing Additional Services
- Go Back to the App Settings Page Click “Additional Google Services” (Marked #2 Below)
Change Google + and YouTube to “On For Everyone”
- For the service you want to turn on or off, click ￼at the right (Marked with an Arrow below) of the service listing and choose ON for everyone or OFF from the menu.
Now you should have no trouble logging into your webinar with your Google Apps email address.
Change the Hangout Settings
NOTE: You will need to do this in every hangout, IF you have presenters that do not have your same company Google App Domain email. We also highly recommend testing beforehand to make certain your other presenters do not get an error message. If they do, then it will be necessary to use a gmail address.
- First click on the little buildings in the upper right of the screen (as marked by the arrow below)
- Click Change (Marked #1 Below)
- Then Allow (Marked #2 Below)
- The Hangout now will say “Anyone with the link”
- A popup will appear that will say “Anyone with the link can request access…”
- The buildings will change to a link icon
Want zero BS content that makes your business smarter and your life better delivered automatically to your inbox?
Join Genndi for FREE and never miss a barrier smashing post again.